Answered By: Jason Welborn Last Updated: Oct 01, 2014 Views: 623
If you need to contact the RITE Support Desk for assistance, you may be asked to provide the device name for your computer. All campus computers are given a unique computer name, and this name should appear on a label located somewhere on your computer.
The device name typically begins with the four letter abbreviation of your building, followed by the letter "P" (for PCs) or "M" (for MACs), and then four numbers. For example, a PC located in Grover Cleveland might have the name "CLEVPE0001."
PC USERS: If the sticker on your computer is missing, follow these steps to locate your device name
- Click the Start button and right-click Computer.
- Select Properties to open the System properties window.
- Your device name appears under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings.
- In the example below, BUTLPE0390 is the device name.
MAC USERS: If the sticker on your computer is missing, follow these steps to locate your device name
- Click the Apple logo and select System Preferences.
- Select Sharing from the middle section.
- Your device name appears in the Computer Name field.
- In the example below, BUTLME0378 is the device name.